Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The bright side

I went to visit my grandmother last night who had a stroke back in March. She's back at home now and I think she's much happier back home than in a nursing home. She can walk around on her own now, although she still has a cane if she needs it. Her speech is still very hard to understand. That has been the slowest part of her recovery.

This is why I'm petrified of aging. I don't care about looking older, in fact I plan on aging like Helen Mirren so I'm all set. But I do care about losing the ability to take care of myself. It's such a scary thing to have no control of your body. When I first visited my grandmother after her stroke she couldn't even swallow. I was so scared for her and kept thinking about what that must be like, to go from active and healthy to having a major stroke.

But back to the the bright side here. My grandmother looks good and she's improving every time I see her. Before I left yesterday she was standing in the kitchen with us for a good 10-15 minutes.

In other good news, my mother's boyfriend's cancer is in remission. Let's keep the good luck rolling. Usually bad things happen in threes so I hope it works the same for good things.

3 comments:

  1. Better yet, let's hope good luck comes in dozens or something! Great news on both counts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if good things happen in threes but they should. Balance and all that. I'm glad that they're both getting better :) Getting older isn't something I'm really looking forward too but my dad is 62 now and he's still managing to get by just fine, better than fine really, so it's something I don't have to worry about for quite some time. Plus the doctor said I'd have a heart attack by age 30 so maybe I won't have to worry about it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherish the moments that you have her outside of a nursing home. I wish mine could come home... unfortunately with the economy the way it is, it's actually cheaper for her to be in a nursing home than to have a caretaker in her own home. I miss her so much.

    I'm glad that your grandmother is recovering well. Aging is a very scary thing, but she sounds like a beast.

    ReplyDelete