Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

#movies - We need to talk about Kevin aka I have discovered a new form of birth control


We need to talk about why this movie should be used as a form of birth control.

Is it weird that I like movies where someone is psycho but there's one person who's onto them and no one else believes it until the end of the movie and people are dead? That's a genre right?

This is also my worst nightmare. Knowing something is wrong and no one believing me. I've had dreams where this happens and I end up screaming and crying, trying to get my point across but it doesn't matter, no one believes me.

Tilda Swinton plays the main character Eva. When her son Kevin is born she knows right away that something is off about him. Even as a child he's very cruel and cold towards her and is bent on making her life as miserable as possible. Eva's husband, Franklin, played by John C. Reilly, doesn't see anything wrong with their son. He's just a normal boy when Franklin is around.

Eva's solution to having a child that despises her and is pretty much evil is to have another child. (have you not seen the Good Son Eva?!) This one will love me! When Kevin learns of the pregnancy and she asks him how he feels he breaks crayons and gives his mother a death stare.

Clearly this kid is ready for more people to torture. (Ok so this is not from that exact scene but all of his death stares are pretty much the same).

Franklin decides to give Kevin a bow and arrow and a target. I mean this is just flipping brilliant! Granted, Franklin is clueless as to how crazy his son is but Eva knows and is too scared to say anything.


So Eva knows that Kevin is crazy and evil and armed and yet, she allows him to baby sit. And this is what happens:

Not from an arrow but from something else. I can't give away everything about the movie here. Good job there Eva having that second child who loves you so much and now has one eye.

I'd like to thank this movie for making me terrified of having children and for my new PSA campaign:

HAVING MORE CHILDREN DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

I am bolding and underlining that because it is really true for so many of life's problems.

You might think from this review that I dislike Eva and that is not true. I actually feel really bad for her and honestly don't know what I would do in this situation. Probably cry and drink some wine and eat some french fries and cry some more and not have a second child.

I read an interview with the author of the book the movie is based off of and she said she thought of the idea when she considered whether or not  she wanted children. She had decided at the age of 8 to never have children and thought she should rethink that idea once she turned 40. Um, I think she made her decision.....

Also, you should read about Tilda's relationship with her boyfriend and the father of her children. It's a little strange but very interesting.


3 comments:

  1. It sounds like a pretty weird movie. I would give my kids a bow and arrow though, even if they were psychotic. I think that might be a genre, there are enough movies like that for it to count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that I thought the most evil thing was that he broke crayons? Anyway I saw this movie and it is REALLY fucked up. They should show this in high schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see this movie! I love that genre of movies too, like Orphan and this one book I read a few months ago, which is obviously not a movie but it counts because I said so.

    ReplyDelete