Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I'm a car hobo

I got a call from the auto body shop and my car is officially totaled. I'm not surprised, in fact I would have been more surprised if they told me it could be repaired.

Now I need to go get all of my crap out of the car which is going to be a blast because I have a ton of stuff in there. I live in a small studio with no storage so I keep all of my camping gear in the trunk of my car. I also have many mystery items such as a cake decorating kit. I don't bake cakes and I've never want to take up cake decorating so I'm wondering how or why that got in there.

The auto body people are going to think that I live out of my car. I mean I probably could with all of the stuff in there. My mother will be helping me with that on Saturday. I'll also collect my plates and say my last goodbyes.

Although I would like to get another car right away I don't think I can. I just don't have the money right now. My plan is to try to hold off until spring which will give me some time to save. By not having a car I should be saving at least $250 a month (between car insurance and my parking spot).

It won't always be fun but I live in Boston and can walk or take the T most places. Right now it seems like the best idea.

RIP little Hyundai. It's been a long 10 years.

3 comments:

  1. You could always sign up for ZipCar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did really good to last ten years as it is I think. That's about 20 times longer than anything my brother has had lasted. Sorry for your loss though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww that sucks Gin. At least you live somewhere where you can survive without a car, in the south that ain't happening. Give your car a proper goodbye though.

    ReplyDelete